Sunday, November 3, 2013

Side effects, and more questions...

In my last blog I wrote about both the pros and cons of Marijuana and Vicodin. The farther I got into my research the more I realized how biased the government has become about Marijuana. Once they decided that Marijuana was a schedule 1 substances they ignored all new research that has attempted to show otherwise. Vicodin, on the other hand, is one of the leading choices for drug abuse but is listed as a schedule 3 substance. How can one of the leading drug abuse substances be a lower threat than a drug that has less than 6% drug abuse. This said I am still not on either side of the argument more.

In my research this week I decided to look into the side effects of Vicodin because most people don't actually read the warning label. The source I found for side effects is listed as The Internet Drug Index and it provides a list of possible side effects, overdose information, and warning about Opioids. The information on their sight comes from the Federal Drug Association better known as the FDA. Though the FDA is biased to the government it is better to get most of this information from them as I want to know this information for voting purposes as well. Per the Drug Index Vicodin can effect your Central Nervous System, Gastrointestinal System, Genitourinary System, Respiratory Depression, Special Senses, and Dermatological System. You can find the details of these side effects at The Internet Drug Index. 





Once I knew the side effects of Vicodin I wanted to know the side effects of Marijuana. The source I found for Marijuana side effects is the University of Harvard. They University used multiple sources and combined the research into a list of side effects. The side effects that are listed for marijuana use (joints only) are respiratory illness and mental health. If you choose to smoke the Marijuana then you run the risk of getting the same lung disease as you would if you smoke tobacco. There are many side effects that marijuana can have on your brain from memory loss and impaired judgement to possible Cannabis disorders. There has been possible links to other illness but nothing that has concrete evidence. 


Both these sources can be said to be biased but so can all sources. In my opinion, if a sources is written my one or more people all with the same values and ideas your source will be biased. It is hard to find anyone who is neither pro- marijuana or anti-marijuana that has done research on this subject. How will marijuana become legal if people in the government are so against new research? Why is Vicodin the first narcotic/ pain reliever doctors try and prescribe to patients? Who is backing both pro-use or anti-use of these drugs financially? If the government is so against the use of marijuana why is the use of hemp, which comes from the same plant, legal? Do either of these drugs have an age limit and if not should they? 

3 comments:

  1. How do your sources compare and contrast (the synthesis element!)?

    Could some of the bias toward Vicodin result from the fact that it was developed by pharmaceutical companies who can profit from its use? Is marijuana harder for companies to profit from, at least under the current system, because individuals can grow their own? I certainly can't whip up a batch of Vicodin in my kitchen! Just a thought...

    You look at some of the side effects of these two drugs, but what about their effectiveness? You began your blog by wondering how Rx drugs compared to marijuana in terms of being effective for patients (and the environment.) Have you found out anything about the environmental question yet?

    Finally, you are correct that all sources have bias. Thus, your job as a researcher is to detect the level of bias and to be upfront about it. Rather than accepting information as "fact," you should question it and consider who is saying it and why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am like you still on the fence of this subject, but I am finding all of this information so interesting to maybe decide some day if I need to switch from the medication. I didn't realize that hemp is made out of the same plant, I would like to know the difference on %? That is such a high amount of people addicted to Vicidion and it seems like we know more about prescription drugs than it looks like marijuana has been shown the results of long term. I would of thought there was going to be a distinct different between the two again like I said I am on the fence. I do NOT hold it against anyone who chooses either way, but just think a lot would go more in the different of what has best benefits and least amounts of long term risk.
    Look forward to your last couple post !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It amazes me how much they allow Vicodin to be allocated and how Marijuana has got in that position of being known as a very bad substance in some places. One good thing is that Marijuana does not create a physical dependency unlike Vicodin which can create both a physical and psychological dependency. Your topic has got me interested in the history of how these drugs were both introduced. I know that the government actually produced a lot of Marijuana plants in the 1700's for clothes, paper and other very useful things we still make use of today. I think your on track that the Vicodin overall is a lot worse and is declared opposite. This has to be changing somewhere along the lines since its becoming more legal, although there is still huge problems with addiction and health risk as you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete